Senggigi is the tourist hub of Lombok mainland. But a tourist hub in Lombok is much different to a tourist hub in Bali. Here you will see so little tourists you will forget you are one yourself.
Located on the Indonesian Island of Lombok, on the west coast. It takes about 1 hr and 15 minutes from the new International Airport on Lombok.
It may be the tourist hub on the mainland of Lombok, but Lombok itself remains fairly untouched. It has a range of accommodation options, beaches, and restaurants. There are not many tourist driven activities to do here. But you don’t come here to pack your day full of things to do. You come here to unwind. To feel like your away from it all. To escape. You can explore the town and surrounding areas. Use Senggigi as your base, take coastal drives, enjoy the beaches, snorkel, dive, surf, check out the capital Mataram, visit waterfall sights and even trek Mount Rinjani if your feeling active.
For us, Senggigi was blissful. It was exciting feeling like you had been somewhere a lot of people hadn’t or never will see. It’s refreshing and a perfect partner to the craziness that is Bali.
The Ugly Truth
- If you want activities galore at your doorstep, this is not the place for you.
- There are not as many developed areas, so you need to be willing to rough it a bit.
The Silver Lining
- If you go with it, roughing it can be a source of natural, free, fun. And there are some pretty nice resorts to go back to at the end of the day. Or to spend your entire day if you want.
- Sometimes on holidays, you can get so involved in the activities and sights and things to check off your list, that you forget to really just embrace the location and explore. Here you have no choice but to do this. It’s a nice wake up call.
- The landscape is understated natural beauty.
- Mataram is about 20 minutes south
- Kuta Lombok is about 1.5 hrs south
- Lombok International Airport is about 1 hr and 15 minutes away
- Gili Islands can be reached by public boat from Bangsal Harbour but we would recommend a 15 minute speedboat transfer from Teluk Kode/Nara, about 25 mins north of Senggigi.
- Bali can be reached by speedboat (1hr 15 mins – 2 hrs 30 mins) or plane (approx. 30 minutes)
Things To Do
As mentioned, there are not a lot of organised activities to do here. But there are beautiful beaches and water sports. And Senggigi is a good base to see the rest of Lombok from, wether it be driving around the island, seeing sights, or climbing Mt Rinjani.
- Exploring Lombok
- Beautiful Scenery